We recently did an “update shoot” for one of our favorite inns, the grand Saratoga Arms, in downtown in Saratoga Springs, NY. Innkeepers and Owners of this family-run business, Amy and Kathleen Smith, have made some really smart updates to this property, carefully blending the traditional style with an updated new look. Because we’ve been shooting for them for years, we have some interesting before and after shots showing the decor changes. Instead of tearing out all of the classic (and pricey!) wallpaper and discarding great-quality furnishings, they made more modest changes that make a huge impact—all without breaking the budget.
The big changes they DID make:
- * They eliminated many large armoires which had previously held televisions, replacing them with contemporary wood pieces with a dual function: they contain a refrigerator and provide ample clothing storage (with a great top surface to boot!)
- * Wall mounted flat screen TVs throughout
- * They chose all-white bedding, a more contemporary pillow styling, and reused the old traditional custom bedspread as a pop of color and pattern at the foot of the bed. It just happens this whole look is super photogenic and clean!
- * Some wallpaper removal and fresh paint
- * Many new lamps with a more contemporary flair
- * Some smaller, more updated chairs in some rooms in solid white or bold colors
We did our part in styling, lighting and composing the photos to make them feel more 2014 and less 1999. It was a joint effort for sure!